Hiking and Backpacking
A Complete Guide
by Karen Berger
Published by W. W. Norton & Co., 1995 in cooperation with the PBS TV show Trailside.
New edition: October, 2002
* Best seller! More than 125,000 copies in print.
* Book of the Month Club
* Book was recommended on the "Today Show"
* Companion to the PBS series "Trailside: Make Your Own Adventure"
A complete introduction to Hiking and Backpacking.
Karen's friendly, fun-to-read guide covers starting out, walking techniques, gear, food, no-trace camping, first aid, backcountry challenges, animals, navigation, and hiking with other people. There's also a chapter introducing readers to more advanced skills: winter, solo hiking, long-distance hiking, leading groups, foreign travel, and volunteer trail work.
* Buy this book from Amazon.com.
* Ask you local independent bookstore to order and stock this book.
* Order a signed copy from the author (email for info).
Karen's Outdoors Books
Learning to Hike